Manchester City no longer have a buyback option on Leicester striker Kelechi Iheanacho, according to reports in England.
The Nigerian has scored 17 goals in all competitions this season for the Foxes and he has been tipped to make the switch back to the Etihad this summer after originally leaving the Citizens in 2017.
However, the clause that would have allowed City to buy back Iheanacho for £50m expired last year, and supporters on Twitter have mixed feelings about the news:
I dont really care tbh
— Chimpbot (@citygram__bg) April 27, 2021
— Mark Jeffery (@Mark_Jeffery1) April 27, 2021
We would have never bought him back anyway
— ioan (@SimplyIoan) April 27, 2021
One good period in 4 years. Give me a break
— Sally Mott (@Citizen58) April 27, 2021
— Sid (@Sdzz20) April 27, 2021
He was ok when he played for us, however selling him was best at that time, I'm happy he is doing well still he won't get in our team
— Gulam (@gulam82) April 27, 2021
Shame, that would have been a good buy back
— Michael Nana (@MichaelNana) April 27, 2021
Not worth buying back for me sorry, a few decent months and that's it
— Ross Mcnulty (@mcnulty_ross) April 28, 2021
Iheanacho’s excellent form has also reportedly attracted the interest of Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United. However, it must be said that the 24-year-old did struggle during his first three seasons at the King Power Stadium, and he has only really found his feet over the past six months so losing out on him shouldn’t really be seen as a blow.
City are said to be looking at a number of targets to strengthen up front, with the likes of Borussia Dortmund’s Erling Haaland, Inter Milan’s Romelu Lukaku, Inter Milan’s Lautaro Martinez and Eintracht Frankfurt’s Andre Silva all believed to be on the club’s radar.